Thursday, August 21, 2014

Summer Time Blues

  I'm so far behind on my blog I'm going to include 3 videos!
 

 

 


  In the first video,  I drove up to Spruce Lake in the Poconos to talk to people from Joni and Friends, which is a camp for Special Needs kids AND their families. Joni Earikson Tada is well known in Christian circles. She is a radio personality, public speaker and is on TV. She was in a diving accident years ago and is in a wheelchair. Now she heads up a whole ministry to people with Special Needs.




 




They have an office in Philadelphia and they help churches set up Special Needs Ministries. This includes Sunday School classes as well as support groups and outreach to the whole family, not just the children. They are a wealth of knowledge and support. I was a bit overwhelmed with how big this could become.
  Last month someone handed me a book called "Same Lake Different Boat", written by a woman who runs Special Needs Ministries. When I went up to meet the woman from Joni and Friends, she suggested I may want to read a book....you guessed it, same book. She said to contact the author. I haven't done it yet, but I will soon.

 
 
   For now I've decided to start up a support group for parents, open to the community, not just people from church, to gather together and talk, hang out, share information and just feel like they have a safe place to gather and talk and make new friends. I would like to eventually start up a Sunday School class for kids with severe disabilities like Robbie and hire a teacher with a degree of "Teacher of the Handicapped", but for now I'll start with one thing at a time.
 
Episode 47- Camps and Support Groups

 
The following week Robbie had the longest seizure he has ever had, lasting 4 minutes 20 seconds. He was taken to the hospital in the ambulance and when I arrived to the emergency room, he was completely out of it, eyes closed, unresponsive, and frankly it scared me to see him like that. It took a couple hours for him to come around. Whenever we are there, he just wants to sleep, so he turns around on all fours, and pulls the blanket up over his head to make it darker. Then he starts pulling off all the leads, wires and eventually the IV. That's when Mom steps in and goes all "Terms of Endearment" and starts pressing the doctors and nurses to let him go home. They were really good at this hospital and when Robbie started to come around, they sent him home.
 
Episode 48- Seize The Day
 


The next day after the seizure he was tired all day. Then on Saturday I took him to the beach and he was like a new guy! I kept Robbie seated in a chair by the water, feeling that's the safest position just in case of a seizure. Also, my sister in law went with me, who is a nurse, just in case. But there was no need to worry. This is my favorite video of all because Robbie is so happy and playful and you'll see how he teases me and will even hear him laugh!


Episode 49- Beachin'
 


2 comments:

  1. Hi. I am in NJ as well. Anyway, I have been looking to connect with parents who have kids with autism. I have a 13 year old son with autism. I saw your screen name when it was mentioned in the comments section of the one of the videos of the man who adopted his son with autism.

    What a transformation your son had undergone from the few videos I saw when he was a young kid. What happened in between those young years and now that he is mid-20s? I am trying to track down the transformation of my son when he was still so young going up to his current age because I want him to function as normal as possible just like us. I have not given up that idea. Hence, I taught him and still am teaching him from academics to life skills. He goes to a school in a classroom for children with LLD. However, the school right now wants to kick him out to a Multiply-Disabled and/or ABA classroom. Well, I am still fighting that. It seems like that students with autism in NJ are usually being just prepared for life skills so I can not understand the fact that NJ has best schools for children with autism. I want kids to learn, be taught and be knowledgeable to prepare them for life but I saw also in one of your videos that you did not like the idea of teaching him how to use the seat belt and how to open the car as he might bolt out. I understand the issues for some people who have a tendency to elope but sometimes, teaching them what should be done over and over, they will surely get it into their heads. Well, I believe so much in children or adults with autism that they can function like us if we and the people around them just gave them the chance to learn. Learning is a lifelong process for all people. We constantly learn things, if we do not, then life can be boring and useless. Somehow, I am still full of hopes no matter what happens but of course, at the back of my mind, there are still worries of what will happen when he grows up and such. Then, I reminded myself back when I was young, even though, there were no apparent disabilities in me and with my siblings, we were extremely poor. I would worry so much where we will get our next food, if we will be able to go to college. Life is always uncertain and that makes it interesting for we can devise what we will do next if one fails or is not what we expected. I know, there is still a long road ahead but I try not to think of it too much so it will take its own course.

    I hope you can write back to me to my e-mail and would surely appreciate it. Until then, take care and am hoping for the best for your son.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born epileptic, but I am now free and cured with Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine. I was seventeen and sitting at my computer when I fell out of my chair. Only thing I remember is waking up with the worse headache I had ever had in my life. I had never taken medication and I hated swallowing pills but I had to start. I switched between all kinds of medication because I didn't take them like I was supposed to. One day I had just finished running errands and was at my sisters house when I fell to the floor again. I woke up with a bad headache and my 2 year old Niece leaning over my leg asking me if I was OK. By then I had just started college and was one the verge of losing my license. My school is an hour away from where I live so I really got set back because I wasn't allowed to drive until I got my seizures under control. I would love to know how others have handles their epilepsy! So My sister friends Emma Told my sister about a herbal Doctor who reside in west Africa(Nigeria) Because Emma is from Africa as well, My sister told me about it then we decided to give a try. My sister contacted him also tell him about my autism too.he assures my sister that his herbal medicine will cure my epilepsy and my autism, I paid for the herbal medicine then he delivered to Charleston Post office I was called to pick it up which i quickly did, I drank it for two weeks as prescribed happily I went for diagnose and find out my Epilepsy and Autism is gone and today making it 9 Months and I'm now free from Autism, Seizure and Epilepsy, I will continue to share Dr Itua Natural Herbal Medicine works. I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone who suffering from,,,AUTISM, EPILEPSY, SEIZURE, COLD SORE, HERPES, HIV/AIDS.Shingles,Genitals Herpes,Dr Itua Contact Information..... Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.... WhatsApp Number....+2348149277967. Live Happily Again With Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine.

    ReplyDelete