Saturday, June 14, 2014

24-Broken Things

 
 

    Years ago I went to a fancy dinner party at a friend's house. She is sort of a Martha Stewart type. Everything in her house is perfect. She loves to decorate and set a beautiful table. She cooks a gourmet meal with special place settings at the table. When I go, I am sure to use my best table manners.
 
   During dinner, a Christmas wreath hung over the buffet suddenly fell and broke one of her serving dishes. She was so shocked and upset that she couldn't even speak. I understood why she was upset, however from my perspective, broken dishes were a normal thing in my house. If it had been my house, I would have blown it off, picked up the broken pieces, and finished dinner. I probably would have even laughed and made a joke. Actually, if it was at my house, we probably would have been eating on plastic dishes or paper plates, because that's what our life was like!
  The truth was, during the years Robbie was growing up, we rarely had anyone over. The house was too much of a disaster and it was too stressful to cook for people, and the messy house was embarrassing. Robbie had broken a lot of things in the house. He slammed the doors so all the doors were broken off the hinges, he broke my kitchen cabinets, all my dishes, videos, VCR's, video cameras etc. But you know what? It taught me something. Material things just really aren't that important!

 
    I don't worship my house or my car or my things. I don't need to keep up with the Jones's. It's trivial nonsense. Remember, I do Interior Design and I am in hundreds of beautiful homes all the time. So this was a really hard lesson for me to learn. Sometimes I got depressed over it. But I had to remind myself to remember the big picture of what life is really about, my family. People are important, pillows are not! LOL
    In today's video I'll show you old video and pictures of things Robbie has broken over the years. It's not to complain, but to show other parent's of Autistic kids that they are not alone, and there are other people out there that live the same way. And my other point is, to those parents, don't be like me and wait until things are so bad and "broken" beyond repair that you can't take it anymore. Don't wait to ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment